St. Peter’s Square is the symbol of the Vatican City, it was built by Bernini between 1656 and 1667 under Pope Alexander VII (1655-1667).
The measurements of the St. Peter’s Square are extraordinary: it is 320 meters deep with a central diameter of 240 meters and is surrounded by 4 rows of 284 columns and 88 pillars.
The balustrade above the columns is crowned by 140 statues of saints, 3.20 meters high, made around 1670 by pupils of Bernini. On the sides of the obelisk, moved to the center of the square by Domenico Fontana in 1585, the two large fountains by Bernini (1675) and Maderno (1614).
Below, at the foot of the staircase, the statues of St Peter and St Paul seem to welcome the faithful.